Skip to main content

📝 Weekly Report #1

This is the start of a new weekly blog post I am putting together, reflecting on my own teaching and highlighting some of the great podcasts, books and blog posts I have learnt from during the week.

👨‍🏫 Teaching:

This is where I will reflect on the successes and challenges that I have had during the previous week. I will also look forward to the following week and identify a key focus for the week. Hopefully this will help other teachers in a similar scenario and give some guidance as to how I aim to continue to support student learning.

As I write this I am putting together a few resources ready for starting back up on Monday. We have 2 INSET days this year and then Wednesday with just the new year 7s, then back into teaching fully from Thursday. I'm hoping we can get back to normality and have a disruption free year from COVID. This year I also officially begin my new role as second in charge of Maths so I am sure to be reflecting on my challenges and successes I have this year. 

🔊 Listen:

Over the lockdowns I’ve listened to a wide range of podcasts both teaching and non teaching based that have really resonated with me so I am looking forward to distilling the learning that I have gained from them.

An episode I want to recommend for this week is from the Modern Wisdom podcast where Chris speaks to Cal Newport on how to master email overload. I know as teachers we can get sent a lot of rubbish so this may be useful to getting started on the right foot this year. Check it out here.

📚 Read:

This section is going to briefly reflect on the current book or blog post I am reading and any key learning I take from it. I do read some teaching books, however the majority of what I read isn’t from a teaching background and I enjoy trying to apply principles from other industries to the world of teaching.

This week I have been finishing up Sun Tzu's, Art of War. Obviously we aren't going to war with students however it does say "excellence lies in defeating the enemy without ever fighting". It makes me think about what I can do to avoid students misbehaving before they even get the chance, being proactive rather than reactive. For example having all my desks in rows and facing the front reduces the chance students have for turning and talking in class. It's a short read but very interesting, especially considering it was written a long time ago but the lessons are timeless. Get your copy here.

📺 Watch:

Every Tuesday at 5pm I am uploading a video to Youtube on my own teaching practice and what I am continuing to learn from others. Hopefully this positively impacts teaching on a wider scale and is easily digestible. Take a look at this week's video 5 Behaviour Management Tips for the Classroom

This is a new challenge for me using YouTube and blogging weekly so any tips or feedback would be appreciated. Looking to learn and grow every week. 

Popular posts from this blog

Literacy in Maths

I'm a Maths teacher, I teach numbers. Why is Literacy so important for me? Well….here's why: "Literacy is fundamental for success in school and later life. Students who cannot read, write and communicate effectively are highly unlikely to access the challenging academic curriculum in secondary school and are more likely to have poor educational outcomes across all subjects." (Link 3)  Unfortunately there are a lot of Maths teachers who believe (wrongly) that literacy is a thing that the English department do. They see it as a tick box for observations. Rather than being an essential component of students being able to learn maths.  -  So what does it look like in Maths? Answer the question: Blindle 4x + 6 Are you able to do it?  This is the challenge a lot of students face in Mathematics. Subject specific vocabulary can seem really confusing to a lot of students. Understanding what a keyword is asking of students is often the hardest part of a question and can hold st

📝 Weekly Report #33

This week I listened to a really good podcast episode from Greg McKeown called Where am I wrong? In it he talks about a really effective method to have deeper discussions on what is important.  Write down/say the 3-5 issues/priorities you think there are as well as the cost/consequence of them. Then just simply ask where am I wrong? It starts the conversation off with the other person talking and getting their points across. You can then get that shared understanding about what needs to be done and why.  It got me thinking about other areas this could be useful for e.g. dealing with conflicts, leading departments/teams, pitching a new initiative. I am going to start doing this in some of these scenarios as I think we can have more productive conversations from it.  Have a listen to the episode here .  🔊 Listen: Alan Stein Jr on the Modern Wisdom podcast discussing high performance and overcoming stress. He talks about thinking like an athlete with your work and improving every part of

England v Wales: Who teaches Maths better?

England V Wales: Who teaches Maths better? Times are changing in Wales, there is a new Curriculum focus and in Maths there are 5 proficiencies that the government want to see. Here's my take as a new HOD crossing the border from England. The Welsh government have overhauled the curriculum and not just in Maths. They have identified key statements of what matters and laid out principles for progressing in each subject.  Maths in every country is the same though surely.... Well yes... we still focus on Number, Algebra, Geometry and Statistics. But also no....in Wales it is mandatory to use their 5 proficiencies to progress students in Maths. This isn't an explicit thing in England. The 5 proficiencies are: conceptual understanding, fluency, logical thinking, strategic competence and communication with symbols Lots of big words. But if you dive deeper into the detail that the Welsh government provides on each of them it is no different to what the NCETM in England recommend with t