Skip to main content

📝 Weekly Report #12

👨‍🏫 Teaching:

After such a great start to my week is had ended up being very stressful. I was in Exeter for an NCETM professional development lead course on Tuesday. It's great having face to face courses and being able to discuss ideas and thinking in person, I had two key moments that got me thinking:

1. Designing professional development (PD) programmes
It's obvious now I think about it, but when designing PD we need to think about what outcome do we want pupils to have? From here we can work backwards to 'in order to achieve this outcome, what must teachers change/adapt about their teaching practice?' Then finally, 'to achieve this change what should PD actually look like?' There's no point delivering PD because we think an idea is 'good' we need to be thinking about what outcomes we want to be seeing from pupils. This also then gives you a clear way of evaluating the effectiveness of your PD programme. So instead of just "I want to develop the use of bar modelling in my department" we need to think what outcome do I want to see e.g. "students having a deeper conceptual understanding of how to solve an equation". From here, bar modelling may then be the change you want to see in teaching. Just introducing it with no thought as to what outcome you want to see gives you nothing to check how well your PD has gone. 

2. Representations to show the maths Vs representations to understand the maths
My second thinking point is about what we use representations for in maths. We discussed the idea of using representations to show the maths versus representations to understand the maths. It came from looking at an ICCAMS multiplication representation resource and we spoke about the need to show all of the representations and why it may or may not be useful. Generally in my teaching, representations are used to show what the abstract maths 'looks' like. I don't think I go the other way around and show lots of representations of the same thing and have students work out what is being shown themselves. I'm unsure about how effective it would be at the moment, I think potentially it would be more effective for higher attaining students who already have a good grasp of the maths rather than when first introducing a concept. Think I need to have a play around with it a bit more first. Definitely given me something to think about when I am using representations myself. 

To finish the week my head of department and SLT link, who also teaches Maths, have both tested positive for COVID. So I can't wait to see how next week goes!! Wish me luck!!

🔊 Listen:

Episode 2 of Bags to Learn podcast with Naveen Rizvi. Gave me lots to think about and try to implement into my own department. Definitely useful for when I eventually become a HOD. Listen to it here.

🔊 Listen:

General Stanley speaking to Chris Williamson on the Modern Wisdom podcast. They talk risk, communication, careful and clear planning, training for bad situations, adaptability. Listen here.

🔊 Listen:

High performance podcast with Alistair Campbell, politician and author of Winners. In this podcast episode, Campbell talks about his own mental health struggles while working in politics and discusses his three favourite letters, OST. Listen to it here.

📚 Read:

Adam Robbins blogs about whole class feedback. Is a great read about how we can websites it is effective and not just another fad. Read it here

📚 Read: 

Helen Skelton talking about her bad habits and how she's overcoming them. Some classic examples and it's always good hearing how teachers overcome their bad habits. Have a read here

Popular posts from this blog

Literacy in Maths

I'm a Maths teacher, I teach numbers. Why is Literacy so important for me? Well….here's why: "Literacy is fundamental for success in school and later life. Students who cannot read, write and communicate effectively are highly unlikely to access the challenging academic curriculum in secondary school and are more likely to have poor educational outcomes across all subjects." (Link 3)  Unfortunately there are a lot of Maths teachers who believe (wrongly) that literacy is a thing that the English department do. They see it as a tick box for observations. Rather than being an essential component of students being able to learn maths.  -  So what does it look like in Maths? Answer the question: Blindle 4x + 6 Are you able to do it?  This is the challenge a lot of students face in Mathematics. Subject specific vocabulary can seem really confusing to a lot of students. Understanding what a keyword is asking of students is often the hardest part of a question and can hold st

📝 Weekly Report #33

This week I listened to a really good podcast episode from Greg McKeown called Where am I wrong? In it he talks about a really effective method to have deeper discussions on what is important.  Write down/say the 3-5 issues/priorities you think there are as well as the cost/consequence of them. Then just simply ask where am I wrong? It starts the conversation off with the other person talking and getting their points across. You can then get that shared understanding about what needs to be done and why.  It got me thinking about other areas this could be useful for e.g. dealing with conflicts, leading departments/teams, pitching a new initiative. I am going to start doing this in some of these scenarios as I think we can have more productive conversations from it.  Have a listen to the episode here .  🔊 Listen: Alan Stein Jr on the Modern Wisdom podcast discussing high performance and overcoming stress. He talks about thinking like an athlete with your work and improving every part of

England v Wales: Who teaches Maths better?

England V Wales: Who teaches Maths better? Times are changing in Wales, there is a new Curriculum focus and in Maths there are 5 proficiencies that the government want to see. Here's my take as a new HOD crossing the border from England. The Welsh government have overhauled the curriculum and not just in Maths. They have identified key statements of what matters and laid out principles for progressing in each subject.  Maths in every country is the same though surely.... Well yes... we still focus on Number, Algebra, Geometry and Statistics. But also no....in Wales it is mandatory to use their 5 proficiencies to progress students in Maths. This isn't an explicit thing in England. The 5 proficiencies are: conceptual understanding, fluency, logical thinking, strategic competence and communication with symbols Lots of big words. But if you dive deeper into the detail that the Welsh government provides on each of them it is no different to what the NCETM in England recommend with t